How to Apply
The Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology Graduate Group (MCIP) accepts applications for fall quarter admission only. Prospective graduate students may apply for admission to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. programs. Admissions preference is given to Ph.D. applicants. Program application deadline is December 1 (The application system for this graduate group will shut down at midnight on this date, US Pacific Standard Time.)
- Admissions review will start promptly after the deadline, and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Apply early! Don't wait until the last day. Once the deadline passes and the application closes, it can't be reopened.
- Please plan ahead to provide recommenders with sufficient time to write and submit letters on your behalf, and please ensure that all supporting materials (transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation) are submitted by December 1.
The following prerequisite courses are recommended for students applying for graduate study in physiology, as students who are admitted into our program have generally taken these courses. Students requiring more than two courses to remedy a deficiency in these recommendations will not normally be admitted.
- Biology: One year of General Biology or equivalent content
- Biochemistry: Two quarters or one semester Introductory Biochemistry, or equivalent content
- Biochemistry or Cell Biology Lab: One quarter or semester Biochemistry or Cell Biology Laboratory, or equivalent content
- Chemistry: One year General Chemistry with laboratory, or equivalent content
- Organic Chemistry: Two quarters or one semester Organic Chemistry with laboratoory, or equivalent content
- Mathematics: One year Calculus and Analytical Geometry, or equivalent content
- Physics: One year General Physics with laboratory, or equivalent content
- Statistics: One quarter or semester Introduction to Statistics, or equivalent content
- The graduate group cannot review an application until all of the application components are received. There is no "grace period" for supporting materials, please ensure that transcripts and letters of recommendation are also received by the application deadline.
- Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically through the online application. Please do not have recommenders email letters or send letters in hard copy.
- UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit HERE.
- As of 2019, the MCIP Graduate Group no longer requires the GRE for admissions.
- If you are an international applicant who earned a degree from an institution where English is the sole language of instruction, you may request an English language examination waiver HERE.
The MCIP graduate group evaluates applicants using holistic review. Many criteria are considered when reviewing individual applications for admission into the MCIP graduate group:
- Academic Preparation: Are you prepared to pursue a degree in physiology, including success in related/foundational coursework? Is there evidence of self-directed study, etc.?
- Research Interest and Experience: What research questions interest you and why? Do you have experience conducting original research? If so, what research question did you and your team tackle, and why? What did you learn from that experience, and how does that inform your future goals?
- Potential/Promise: Do you have the work ethic, motivation and ability to achieve goals? Is your creativity, perseverance, and balance between focus and flexibility in alignment with the graduate program?
- Leadership and Service